Filing Taxes – Frequently Asked Questions

Everyone has questions about filing taxes. As a trusted part of the community, we’re here to help answer your questions and help with filing your taxes. Check out some commonly asked questions below.  

Don’t see what you’re looking for? Contact us or give us a call at (614) 938-3800. Our expert team will help you find the answers you need.

Filing Taxes and Tax Credit FAQ

  • If your family had income from working in 2021, there is a good chance you might get money back in the form of tax credit refunds like the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).
  • If you owe the government money, filing can protect you from owing an even larger sum later.
  • If you choose to work with us to file your taxes, we will prepare your taxes and go over them with you before filing. We won’t file unless you give us the final okay.
If your household income is below $65,000, you claim a child on your taxes and you live in central Ohio, our services are completely free of charge.

Congress expanded Child Tax Credits for 2021 as part of the American Rescue Plan. This included monthly payments made directly to parents and caregivers from July through December. The IRS started sending monthly advance payments to eligible families starting July 15, 2021.

  • For qualifying households, the full payment amount is $300 per month for each child 0 to 5 years old and $250 per month for each child 6 to 17 years old.
  • This credit pays out half of the tax credit now, and you’ll receive the other half when you file your 2021 taxes.

For more information on the advance child tax credit payments, please visit this Nationwide Children’s Hospital tax credit blog post.

No, you did not miss out. When you file your taxes, you will receive the full amount of the Child Tax Credit for which you are eligible. If you did not get the monthly advance payments, the amount you did not receive will be added to your credits.
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a work credit that may give you money back at tax time or help you pay some of the federal taxes you owe. You can claim the credit whether you’re single or married or have children or don’t have children. The main requirement is that you must earn money from a job. If the EITC amount is more than what you owe in taxes, the government will give you the extra money back in your tax refund. If you qualify for the credit, you can still receive a refund even if you do not owe income tax. You can access the EITC estimator here. This tool explains EITC in further detail and provides estimates.
This is up to you. But there are three important things to know about filing taxes if you are undocumented. 
  • You will need an ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number). If you don’t have one, we can help you with that.
  • If you are thinking about applying for citizenship or residency, filing shows an effort to follow the law.
  • The IRS does not share your information with ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement).
As soon as our experts enter all your information into the tax software, they will be able to tell you everything you need to know.
  • They can show you credits you qualify for
  • The amount of any refunds coming your way
  • If you owe, how much you owe
And remember, you get to review all information before deciding to file.
Once you give us the go ahead, our experts can file electronically on the spot. If the information filed checks out with what the government has on record and if you use electronic direct deposit, it usually takes 10 to 14 days for the money to arrive in your bank account. If you want to get your refund sent as a paper check, it will take longer. Paper check refunds usually take 3-5 weeks to arrive in the mail.
We know there are lots of options out there. We understand if you choose to go in another direction. If you decide to file another way, please be sure to pay attention to the services being offered.
  • Make sure all fees and charges are given to you in writing up front.
  • Make sure there is not an extra fee for filing your state taxes.
  • Watch out for services that require you to deposit your refund money in their company bank account. Genuinely free services will always deposit funds directly in your account or make sure a check is sent directly to your home address.
These services don’t actually file your taxes early. They use basic information about your income and filing status to give you an advance or a loan based on the projected amount of your refund. Your taxes won’t be filed until February when the IRS filing portal opens. Also, because the payment you get with these services is really a loan, there is usually a fee or interest that you have to pay to get that money. Sometimes those fees can be as high as $500 or $600. If you can wait a few weeks, services like ours can help you receive your refund completely free. No fees. No interest. Just your full refund deposited directly to your bank account or mailed directly to your home.

Free Tax Help FAQ

Nationwide Children’s Hospital is offering free tax prep at four Primary Care Centers and two community partner locations. Look at our Locations page for details about days, hours and the types of services offered at each clinic. Then, just message or call us. Our outreach specialist will help you schedule an appointment that works best for you and your family.
Click here to see the list of items you should bring to your appointment.
No catch. As a trusted part of the community, Nationwide Children’s works every day to support families just like yours. We care about all aspects of your family’s well-being. That includes your financial well-being. Click here to read more about families who used our free tax services to access tax credits in 2021.
No! This service is available to anyone in the community who has children in their household and whose total income for filing is less than $65,000. Our main goal is to help as many families as possible access credits, get any refunds they have earned and keep the money they would spend at other tax filing services.
Nationwide Children's Hospital logo
United Methodist Church & Community Development for All People
United Way of Central Ohio logo